"Derivative Work" for Software Defined

Ravicher, Daniel (x2826) dravicher at pbwt.com
Wed Nov 13 14:54:07 UTC 2002

Thanks for your comments, David.

I attempted in my article to present the law and apologize that it didn't
fulfill your purposes.  One resolution of your issues is to either bring a
Declaratory Judgment Action seeking to have a court answer your questions or
you could seek an opinion of counsel regarding whether one work, such as
your five line macro, template, linkage and inheritance examples, is a
derivative of an original.  BTW, I concede that such analysis may not be as
simple as we'd all liked it to be, but this is in part because a court will
not heed to a technician forcing it to talk techy speak.  Rather, to be
legally sound, one must speak legalease.

On that note, whether the AFC test would apply easily to certain factual
examples or not would be highly irrelevant to the court's stare decisis
obligation.  Courts loathe to throw out established doctrine simply because
one says it doesn't fit the facts very well.  One can try to fashion their
own test, that they think better works with specific facts, but good luck
getting a court to adopt it.

Lastly, upon reflection, I'm not so sure the AFC test wouldn't work just
fine with all of your hypotheticals.  The linking issue, despite the
incorrect statements of some technicians in the community that it turns on
static vs. dynamic, is rather straight forward.  The five line macro seems
similarly resolvable, and the templates and inheritance issues aren't nearly
as complicated as many fact patterns presented for analysis.

Best,
--Dan