a data licensing problem

Brian DeSpain brian at xao.com
Sat Nov 9 01:51:15 UTC 2002

Russell Nelson wrote:

>Lawrence E. Rosen writes:
> > The Sleepycat license is vendor and product specific.  It refers to "DB
> > software" (whatever that is) and includes the following warranty: "THIS
> > SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY SLEEPYCAT SOFTWARE ``AS IS'' AND...."  The
> > Sleepycat licenses is not reusable as is by other vendors.

I  didn't suggest simply copying and pasting it. Simply put the sleepy
cat license does allow the licensing behavior required.  I doubt very
much that the said company is using the IP of Harvard and Berkley. Those
sections could be safely snipped. You actually cannot simply cut and
past verbatim for various licenses. The real protection lies as Lawrence
pointed out in the copyright inherent in the data. This company might be
seeking to allow commercial development of their IP while at the same
time allowing open source use of the data. Generally and this only
applies to software it's not uncommon to license differently to closed
source applications (presumably they are not going to release source
back to the community or the copyright holder). Does the Academic Free
license achieve this goal?