a proposed change to the OSD

Bruce Dodson bruce_dodson at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 3 02:28:12 UTC 2002

Thanks John and Larry.  Now I am starting to see.  That's very frightening
to think about, but I still find it hard to believe.

With the manufacturer / retailer situation, the manufacturer got paid for
the goods, and there was a chain of contracts even though there was no
privity between manufacturer and final recipient.  Does all of this apply
equally to my situation, where I am making the software available purely as
a gift?  (I realize others among us are selling their open source products,
and I have no problem with that, but that's not what I'm doing.)

--

Forget about privity for a second.  That's a red herring.  My cat just
strolled in, so now I have other things on my mind:  Someone gave this cat

"Don't be stupid, Bruce, of course not," says my conscience.

Does the law disagree?  Also, does it give a different answer for software
than for cats?