discuss: Bento Poetic License (resubmission)

Michael St . Hippolyte mash at brooklyndigital.net
Wed May 29 04:28:57 UTC 2002

[ Please discuss this license.  In particular, should a copyright
license be used to enforce trademark rights?  -russ ]

Greetings,

We (bentodev.org) submitted a proposed license to
license-approval at opensource.org on April 30.  In order to facilitate
approval, we would like to resubmit the proposal, reorganized and
augmented to better conform to the submission guidelines at
http://opensource.org/docs/certification_mark.html.

Name of license: Bento Poetic License

Submitter: bentodev.org, the copyright holder of the Bento language
specification and reference implementation.

1. The license is posted at http://www.bentodev.org/poetic-license.html

2. The Bento Poetic License is derived from the Artistic License.  The
Artistic License was designed to allow the copyright holder to maintain
some degree of "artistic control" over the development of the software
package being licensed.  It also places restrictions on the
commercialization of software; in particular, it forbids charging a fee
for the licensed software (though charging fees for support and copying
are allowed).  Our intent is to narrow the restrictions in the original
license in order to make it more attractive to potential users.
Specifically, we have more precisely defined the criteria for
acceptable modifications to the software, and we have removed all
restrictions on commercialization of the software.

3. The Bento Poetic License is broadly compatible with all OSI-approved
licenses.  The only action which it unconditionally forbids is the
removal of copyright and legal notices from the software, which we
believe is prohibited by all the other licenses as well.  Furthermore,
it contains no provision which would preclude the restrictions and
requirements of stricter licenses such as the GPL.

4. The license has already been posted to
license-discuss at opensource.org.  We have no objection to reposting of
the license along with our personal and/or organizational identities.

If you have any questions or desire further clarification of any points
please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you for your consideration.

Michael St. Hippolyte
mash at brooklyndigital.net