an open source model code: osd 2002

Charlie Root david at usermode.org
Thu May 23 05:37:40 UTC 2002

Rod Dixon wrote:

> Please take a moment or two to download a draft of the framework for our
> work on the OSD. We have only posted Article 1. We would like to hear your
> thoughts on the framework. It is our view that a model code is the most
> helpful framework for augmenting the Open Source Definition (OSD), but we
> would like to hear what the folks on license-discuss have to say.

1-2.1: The terms "free software" and "open source" are intermixed. There
is nothing inherently wrong with this, but the term "free software" has
not been previously defined.

2-2: "The code should be well documented." I hesitate at this one.
Although I strongly favor well commented source code, there are
innumerable examples of poorly documented source code in the Open Source
community. It would be very hard to distinguish code that is poorly
documented because the writer is ignorant, lazy, or arrogant, from code
poorly documented as an excercise in obfuscation.

David