violation of GPLv2 - remedies?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 13 06:44:18 UTC 2002

on Thu, May 09, 2002, Karsten M. Self (kmself at ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> on Wed, May 08, 2002, Mahesh T Pai (paivakil at yahoo.co.in) wrote:

<...>

[Attribution lost]

> > >How drastically does the situation change if the publisher never
> > >bothered to officially register the copyright with the library of
> > >congress?
> > >
> > Registration does not make any difference
>
> This statement is patently false under US law:
>
>     http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/411.html
>
> Peace.

I've received several off-list responses to this comment, including one
appearing to be from the author of the comment I replied to.

My response:

  - I stand by my statement.  Registration confers, 17 USC 411, states
    several explicit requirements for registration in infringement
    actions.  Registration makes a difference.

  - An absolute statement was made.  A single counter example is
    necessary to demonstrate its falsehood.

  - For the language lawyers out there, please consult a dictionary for
    the distinction between "false" and "deliberately lied in an attempt
    to misliead".

  - As I've stated off-list:  I stand by my statements.  If anyone
    wishes to discuss this matter on list, they're more than welcome to.

Peace.

   zIWETHEY: Provocative, super smart, and oh yeah, just a little sexy.
     http://z.iwethey.org/forums/