GNU GPL and Open Source Definition

Zeno Davatz zdavatz at ywesee.com
Mon May 6 16:14:23 UTC 2002

On 5.5.2002 12:41 Uhr, "Arnout Engelen" <arnouten at sci.kun.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Reading the 'rationale' for paragraph 5 of the OSD, it appeared to me that it
> prohibits what the GPL does in paragraph 8.
I agree. There is a contradiction between paragraph 5 of the OSD and
paragraph 8 of the GNU GPL.

> As a 'side-track' interesting issue: what would be better 'for the community'?
> A license that basically allows more than the law, OSD-like, which may produce
> a dangerous pit-hole for developers to fall in, or one that allows
> law-enforced
> restrictions to be incorporated in the license, like the GPL seems to do?
I believe that it would be better 'for the community' if a license basically
allows more than the 'local country law' does. The 'Open Source Software
Movement' should not be tied down by 'local country laws'. It should serve
as a foundation to connect intellectual capital across borders, races,
nationalities etc. ... . Without discrimination whatsoever. The people who
created/create this movement are themselves connected through there
intellects.

> What are the consequences of allowing or prohibiting such restrictions to be
> incorporated in a license?
I think there is more 'free thinking' (in terms of freedom and not in terms
of cost) if you allow it.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen / best regards

Zeno Davatz