violation of GPLv2 - remedies?

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Mon May 6 20:09:46 UTC 2002

The issues of enforceability of the GPL and the remedies available for
breach of the GPL are complicated ones.  Because the GPL is intended by
its authors to be a copyright license rather than a contract, copyright
remedies apply.  It makes a difference, under the Copyright Act, whether
the copyright is registered or not, and only the original copyright
owner (or the holder of an exclusive right under the copyright) has
standing to sue to enforce a copyright license.

I prefer at this time not to discuss these issues in generalities.  If
you have a specific question that arises under the GPL, you should speak
directly with an attorney.  Feel free to call me about this if you want.

/Larry Rosen
Attorney and Executive Director, OSI
707-485-1242
lrosen at rosenlaw.com