OSD modification regarding what license can require of user

Ean Schuessler ean at brainfood.com
Tue Mar 19 15:48:22 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 18:01, phil hunt wrote:
> This ties it to a specific technology. For all anyone knows, no-one
> will be using http in 109 years time.

Once HTTP goes away (which will probably be 109 years) change the
protocol in the license. The point is that we want to enforce
distribution of source not provide a potential pandoras box.

Let's examine another scenerio. What if I write some sort of web service
and I have my "Obtain Source" button require that you register your name
in my SPAM mailing database. Am I allowed to do that? What language will
you introduce to defend against that? The problem is that this approach
allows software authors to add sections of immutable code as long as
they are "source distribution" facilities. I think it is far more simple
to decouple distribution enforcement from the actual features of the
program.

Ean Schuessler                                      ean at brainfood.com
Brainfood, Inc.                              http://www.brainfood.com