LUCENT TECHNOLOGIES INC. MICROMONITOR SOFTWARE PUBLIC LICENSE AGREEMENT

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Fri Mar 15 18:56:00 UTC 2002

Ed:

Ed Sutter wrote:
> I don't know.  My primary concern for this source code was that it
> be made available to the public with minimal hooks back into Lucent.
> As an employee, I can only do what the company allows me to do, and
> this is what they gave me permission to do.  I think it's about as
> relaxed as it can get; however, I do not know if it has been approved
> by any other organization.
> If you have questions about this kind of stuff, your best bet would be
> to contact swdist at research.bell-labs.com.

The software looks very interesting.  I would like to evaluate it, and
possibly use it in commercial products.  However, there are some clauses
in the license which give me concern (patent entanglements, license
entanglements, revocation upon litigation, etc.).  Seeing as I am an
engineer and not an IP attorney, the safe bet is to only use "free"
software that has an OSI approved license.  I did not see the
Lucent/MicroMonitor license on the OSI list, so I thought I'd ask:

    http://www.opensource.org/licenses/index.html

I am hoping that the experts at OSI will evaluate the MicroMonitor
license and render a decision.  If they approve it, then I can continue.
If the reject it and explain why, then that information can be relayed
back to Lucent.

David