OSD modification regarding what license can require of user

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Thu Mar 14 11:34:03 UTC 2002

Emiliano scripsit:

> 1) keep the source closed, or
> 2) release the sources under conditions that give the users of the
> service that my software will provide the same freedoms as the entity
> running that software for them has.
>
> I'm not up to speed on copyright law, but my choices here are
> (unfortunately) simple. If 2) can't be achieved, it's going to be 1)

It's not as bad as that: copyright law lets you do the things you
want.  You may or may not pass the OSD, though.  Here's a sketch
of a license (IANAL, TINLA):

1) You, the recipient of this software, may make verbatim copies
of the software and distribute them to anyone.

2) You may make derivative works from the software, provided that
you make the source code of your derivative work available either
by allowing public downloading or by sending it to anyone on request.
You may distribute such derivative works in any way you see fit.
Your derivative works must be released under this license.

3) There is absolutely no warranty.

4) If you try to sue me or any developer of this software, claiming
that some idiotic patent you hold is required to use this software, your
license to the software is revoked.  So there.

The hook here is that private modifications are flatly not allowed;
the minute you make a modification, you commit to making your modified
source available to all.

--
John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com