OSD modification regarding what license can require of user

Forrest J. Cavalier III mibsoft at mibsoftware.com
Thu Mar 14 06:05:34 UTC 2002

Bruce wrote (in part)

> So, what if it turns out that the present GPL doens't hold up with regard
> to dynamic linking? Some future version of the GPL might have to place a
> constraint on the user regarding combination of works on the user's system
> that would, if it were distributed in that form, be considered a derived work.
> I think that should be allowed by the OSD.

Did you somehow mean "constraint on the publisher regarding
combination of works on the user's system"?

> Thus, there seem to be a few sorts of requirement on the user that I
> think _should_ be permitted by the OSD. All of them are intended to
> further the goals of Open Source or Free Software.

"freedom" and "requirement" are direct opposites.  Imposing
requirements may further the goals of Open Source, (whatever they
are, I thought they were "freedom".)  Imposing requirements
on users is unlikely to further freedom, by definition.