Discuss: BSD Protection License

Andy Tai lichengtai at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 12 20:14:37 UTC 2002

--- Colin Percival <colin.percival at wadham.ox.ac.uk>
wrote:
> At 20:07 11/03/2002 -0800, Andy Tai wrote:
> >While this license probably is open source, it is
> >misnamed (by using the term "BSD" in its name
>
>    Of course this isn't a BSD license; if I wanted a
> BSD license, I'd be using the BSD license.

Then please don't use "BSD" in the license name.  It
confuses people.

>    I maintain, however, that it incorporates the
> spirit
> of BSD

Except with restrictions.  That goes against the BSD
spirit.

The only point in this license seems to be the GPL
incompatibility.  And you then blame the GPL?  If the
GPL is "guilty" of anything, then you are "guilty" of
the same.

So this license creates "walls" in open source code
and divides the community, on purpose.  Maybe this
license should be discouraged just for this.

>    The fault, IMHO, for this license being
> incompatible
> with the GPL lies entirely with the GPL, > Colin
Percival