Discuss: BSD Protection License

Colin Percival colin.percival at wadham.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 12 01:16:43 UTC 2002

At 11 Mar 2002 20:57:24 -0000, nelson at crynwr.com resent my email to this
mailing list and added the line:
>[ Please discuss this license.  Is he reinventing the LGPL? ]

   No, I'm not.

   To start with, the LGPL only applies to libraries.  The license I am
proposing applies to any code (and in fact when I wrote it I wasn't thinking
in terms of applying it to libraries).
   Somewhat related to that is the difference that this license does not
prohibit the closed-sourcing of derivative works; where LGPL permits the
existance of closed-source works which use a library, my license would permit
the existance of closed-source improvements upon said library.

Colin Percival