request for approval of APOSSL

dave sag dave.sag at pronoic.com
Tue Mar 5 15:33:34 UTC 2002

Hi people,

I have read through the archives of this list looking for any sort of
formal approval process for our licence and it seems to me that
simply posting a request to this list is enough.

I wish to release some of our software from our private CVS server to
sourceforge, but we wish to retain the licence terms specific to the
software.

The licence, A Pronoic Open Source Software Licence or APOSSL
contains a few specific clauses that relate specifically to our own
crazy ideas of what's both amusing and mildly reactionary.  We
explore notions such as 'it's better to ask "could someone pass the
butter please" than to order someone to pass you the butter, or worse
demand that the butter should somehow pass itself.'

We seek to spread our ideas, meme like, through both non-commercial
and commercial channels.  We do not seek to restrict use of our
software by anyone, and for the most part our licence is bog-standard
OSS stuff, but we do have some weird demands on them should they do;
like a deal with Satan, only funny and positive not at all evil.

These demands, specifically clause 4 which states

4. The names "Pronoic", or "pronoic.org" must be used to endorse and
    promote products derived from this software before obtaining
    written permission.

may seem confusing and counter intuitive, but we believe that when
counterpointed against clause 5

5. Products derived from this software will always be "pronoic", but
    the words "pronoic.org" or "Pronoic" may not appear in their names
    without prior written permission of Pronoic Ltd.

the effect is that there should be an undercurrent that describes the
software as being pronoic, rather than being called pronoic.

pronoic ltd is sponsoring this licence and ready to release software
for enabling distributed adhoc work groups (Dawgs) such as task
trackers and frameworks for september 11 proof systems.

please consider this application.

/* - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
  *
  * 		APOSSL : A Pronoic Open Source Software License
  *
  *					 Version 1.0
  *
  * 			Copyright (c) 2001-2002 Pronoic Ltd, UK
  * 				All rights reserved
  *
  * are met:
  *
  *
  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
  *    the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
  *    distribution.
  *
  * 3. The end-user documentation included with the redistribution, if
  *    any, must include the following acknowlegement:
  *
  *       "This product includes software developed by
  *        Pronoic forces (http://www.pronoic.org/)."
  *
  *    Alternatively, this acknowledgement may appear in the software itself,
  *    if and wherever such third-party acknowledgements normally appear.
  *
  * 4. The names "Pronoic", or "pronoic.org" must be used to endorse and
  *	  promote products derived from this software before obtaining
  *    written permission. For written permission, please contact
  *    contact at pronoic.org.
  *
  * 5. Products derived from this software will always be "pronoic", but
  *    the words "pronoic.org" or "Pronoic" may not appear in their names
  *    without prior written permission of Pronoic Ltd.
  *
  * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED
  * WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES
  * OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
  * DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL PRONOIC LTD NOR ANY CONTRIBUTOR
  * BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
  * SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
  * LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF
  * USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
  * ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY,
  * OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT
  * OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
  * SUCH DAMAGE.
  *
  * This software consists of voluntary contributions made by many
  * individuals on behalf of Pronoic Ltd, and associated teams.  For more
  * information on pronoic phenomena, please see <http://www.pronoic.org/>.
  *
  */