Academic Free License

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Wed Jun 26 11:45:17 UTC 2002

Rod Dixon scripsit:

> Why copyright the license text?

IANL (I Am Not Larry), but it seems to me that the main reason for
copyrighting the GNU GPL, for example, is to prevent the creation of
variant GNU GPLs that would inevitably confuse people.  Right now, if
an experienced user sees the familiar "The GNU General Public License (GPL)
Version 2, June 1991" at the top of a license, he need read no further.
Of course, it would be possible to create a faux GNU GPL that was
infringing only de minimis, but copyright protection insures that
a *subtly* different GNU GPL cannot exist.

> 2) The AFL seems to be targeted for those licensors who need an open source
> license from Original Licensor ----->to---->licensee, but not necessarily
> subsequent end-users.

Yes, the AFL looks to me like a BSD-ish "copycenter" license.
("Take it down to the copy center and do whatever you like with the results.")

--
John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com