[discuss] License Approval Request: Macromedia Open Source License

Sam Barnett-Cormack sambc at nights.force9.co.uk
Fri Jun 21 16:00:04 UTC 2002

This allows me to see where you are coming from, and I fully understand your
concerns. I would say wether it is reasonable to expect the book to include
a macromedia copyright notice depends on the exact content of the book.

For example, if the turn the inner working of the BURG into a disected
analysis in english, it is reasonable to expect a notice like "Original BURG
system (c) Macromedia Inc." in there somewhere.

However, if the book is only on the top-level langauge structures thay have
used or created, it would seem to me unreasonable to expect the book to
contain any reference to macromedia, except perhaps as a matter of courtesy
in a foreword, such as "The FooBarBaz compiler is used to compile the
newly-developed FooBarBaz language, a modern variant on FooBar, and uses the
BURG compiler backend generator (  (c) Macromedia Inc. ) to generate the
full compilation". However, as a courtesy such things should not be
demanded. IANAL, and such things might, for all I know, be legally required
anyway. If so, it is wasted space and discourteous to put such terms in a
license.

Just my thoughts as a member of the opensource community.

--
Sam Barnett-Cormack
Software Developer