[discuss] License Approval Request: Macromedia Open Source License

Tom Harwood tharwood at macromedia.com
Wed Jun 19 21:31:35 UTC 2002

[ Please discuss this license.  -russ ]

Gentles,

Macromedia, Inc., would like to obtain OSI certification for its Open Source License.  The Macromedia Open Source License is based on the IBM Public License, with the following changes per our Legal department:

(1) changed IBM to Macromedia,
(2) clarify that if Macromedia includes its own open source in its products, Macromedia does not have to state in its documentation where the source code version of the open source material is made available,
(3) clarify that Macromedia does not have to include its own copyright notice in the event Macromedia decides to incorporate its own open source materials in its commercial products,
(4) require the inclusion of the copyright notice in documentation as well as the software,
(5) changed the choice of law from New York to California.

A specimen copy is available on our website: http://www.macromedia.com/v1/handlers/index.cfm?ID=23075

I also have a Word document that the Legal department believes to be an annotated license agreement that shows the changes from the IBM license to our license.  I can forward that as-is or post an HTML copy on our website.

Thanks, and best regards,

--
Tom Harwood
Macromedia Server Products