discuss: SHPTRANS License Template

Bruce Dodson bruce_dodson at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 31 05:50:09 UTC 2002

So far there have been no comments on the list since I submitted this
template for approval.  I have tried to address the concerns raised in the
previous discussions ("copyleft lite?" and "simple copyleft...")  Perhaps
those who had suggestions for the previous versions could tell me whether I
addressed their concerns adequately, and whether they see any new
shortcomings in the current revision?

Several of the comments from the previous iterations revolved around the
question of GPL compatibility.  To make sure I got that right, I sent a copy
of the template over to the folks at FSF.  They confirmed that, when the
"GNU Copyleft" provision is included, a license created from this template
is GPL compatible.  So, that question is now put to rest and we can focus on
the other aspects of the license, such as its ability to stand on its own.

Regards,
Bruce