ESST license

Parson, Dale E (Dale) dparson at agere.com
Mon Jul 29 19:58:58 UTC 2002

Florian,

> > This software is provided subject to the following terms
> > and conditions, which you should read carefully before
> > using the software. Using this software indicates your
> > acceptance of these terms and conditions.  If you do not
> > agree with these terms and conditions, do not use the
> > software.
>
> Not valid over here.  You can run software without a license, so
> mandatory acceptance of the license does not work.

Good point!

> > Redistribution and use in source or binary forms, with or
> > without modifications, are permitted provided that the
> > following conditions are met:
> >
> > o Redistributions of source code must retain the above
> >   copyright notice, this list of conditions and the
> >   following Disclaimer in comments in the code as well as
> >   in the documentation and/or other materials provided with
> >   the distribution.
>
> This requirement does not cover the clause mentioned above.
>
> We can't you use a straight BSD-type license?

I wanted to use BSD but was over-ruled by our corporate
intellectual property department. At this point I am basically
trying to determine whether this license could be certified
by OSI. After a couple of months of negotiating this
internally, I have a feeling that this may be the best I
can do.

Thanks for your comments.

Dale