discuss: WGPL (WebGPL)

INTERNET ARMY Site Hosting Administrator HostMaster at grifo.net
Mon Jul 22 10:52:56 UTC 2002

[ please discuss this license. -russ ]

License submitted for approval, please post to license discuss list,
with identification:
this project is similar/based on fsf gnu gpl
this work is compatible with GPL license
under the terms of the GNU General Public License
as published by version 2 of the Free Software Foundation
http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl.txt
Purposes:
This WEB General Public License is intended to guarantee
freedom to share and change free webpages and to make sure the webpage
is free for all its users. This WEB General Public License applies to
WebPages CODE and CONTENTS and to any other appliances whose authors
commit to using it.
You can apply it to your webpages and websites, too.

When we speak of free web, we are referring to freedom, not
price. Our WEB General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you
have the freedom to distribute copies of free webpages/websites
(and charge for this service if you wish), that you receive source
code or can get it if you want it,
that you can change the codes, contents or use pieces of it
in new free websites; and that you know you can do these things.

To protect your rights, we need to make restrictions that forbid
anyone to deny you these rights or to ask you to surrender the rights.
These restrictions translate to certain responsibilities for you if you
distribute copies of the webpages, or if you modify it.

For example, if you distribute copies of such a webpage, whether
gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that
you have. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the
source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their
rights.
We protect your rights with two steps:
(1) copyright the webpages, and
(2) offer you this license which gives
you legal permission to copy,
distribute and/or modify the webpages
as long as the full license note
appears with the link to the WGPL Project,
original author note, sources,
and if the page code or content is
modified by someone else and passed on,
we want its recipients to know that what
they have is not the original,
so that any problems introduced by others
will not reflect on the original
authors' reputations.
Finally, any free web is threatened constantly by software
patents. We wish to avoid the danger that redistributors of a free
web will individually obtain patent licenses, in effect making the
webpage code and content proprietary. To prevent this, we have
made it clear that any patent must be licensed for everyone's free
use or not licensed at all.

	--------------------

WEB GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE - WebGPL V-1.0
Version 1, May 2002

Copyright (c) 2002 - AUTHOR: Franco M. Ilariucci
this work is compatible with GPL license
under the terms of the GNU General Public License
as published by version 2 of the Free Software Foundation
http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl.txt

The precise terms and conditions for copying, distribution and
modification follow.

WEB GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION

This License applies to any website or other webpage which contains
a notice placed by the copyright holder saying it may be distributed
under the terms of this General Public License. The "Web", below,
refers to any such webpage code or content, and a "work based on the Web"
means either the Web or any derivative work under copyright law:
that is to say, a work containing the Web or a portion of it,
either verbatim or with modifications and/or translated into another
language. (Hereinafter, translation is included without limitation in
the term "modification".) Each licensee is addressed as "you".

Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
covered by this License; they are outside its scope. The act of
running the Web is not restricted, and the output from the Web
is covered only if its contents constitute a work based on the
Web (independent of having been made by running the Web).
Whether that is true depends on what the Web does.

0. Webpages contents and Webpages codes are considered respectively
intellectual Programs and source Codes
1. Permitted uses are under the terms of the GNU General Public License
as published by version 2 of the Free Software Foundation
2. See at http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl.txt

END.