simple copyleft with attempt at GPL-compatible provisions

Bruce Dodson bruce_dodson at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 20 13:21:04 UTC 2002

The GPL does have that restriction on the source code; that's why I put it
in my license.  I don't restrict charging money for the application; neither
does the GPL.  But the GPL requires that you don't charge an additional fee
for the source code (except to cover cost of media, etc.) so my license
makes that same requirement.  (Otherwise you could comply with the letter of
the GPL, but not with its spirit.  e.g. you could shrink-wrap a copy of
GIMP, distribute it for $50/copy, and include a mail order form making the
source code available for an additional charge of $5000.)

If I got it wrong and made my "GPL-compatibility clause" more restrictive
than the GPL - or if my wording in that clause is too hard to follow -
please help me get it right.

Thanks,
Bruce