copyleft lite?

Bruce Dodson bruce_dodson at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 13 14:34:26 UTC 2002

Okay.  I can add that "or under GPL" clause; it doesn't really make the
license harder to understand, and it's worth it to ensure GPL compatibility.

I will have to work on some simple explanation of what "modifications"
means.  Suggestions are welcome!  I'm thinking if the resulting software
ends up as one binary executable file (DLL / EXE / .so / whatever), the
whole thing needs to be covered under the terms of this license (or the
terms of the GPL, subject to its definition of what constitutes a
modification).  But I want the wording to be simple and not scary - I don't
want the recipient to need to hire both a lawyer and a programmer to
understand the license!

<software program name>.
Copyright (c) <year(s)> <copyright holder(s)>.  All rights reserved.

LICENSE AGREEMENT:
  This is a license agreement and not an agreement for sale.  All
  rights not specifically granted in this agreement are reserved
  to the copyright holder(s).

  Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software
  for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted, provided that
  the above copyright notice appear in all copies, and that the
  above copyright notice, this permission notice, and the following
  disclaimers appear in supporting documentation.  When you
  distribute this software outside your organization, the source
  code (including any modifications) must be made available to the
  recipients under these license terms, or under the terms of the
  GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software
  Foundation.

  Your rights to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software
  will terminate automatically if you fail to comply with the
  terms and conditions set forth in this license agreement.

DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY:
  THIS SOFTWARE AND THE ACCOMPANYING FILES ARE PROVIDED
  "AS IS".  NO WARRANTY OF FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR
  PURPOSE IS OFFERED.  ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER
  EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, ARE DISCLAIMED.

  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS OR CONTRIBUTING
  AUTHORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
  SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING,
  BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR
  SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS
  INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF
  LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR
  TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY
  WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF
  THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

  The recipient must assume the entire risk of using this software.