Approval of Edustructures Open Source License

Steve Setzer Ssetzer at planetsoftware.com
Fri Jan 25 19:48:51 UTC 2002

[ Please review this license.  -russ ]

Folks,

Attached please find in HTML form the "Edustructures JaZ and J/SAL
Licensing Notice", which permits persons acquiring the JaZ and J/SAL
packages from Edustructures (http://www.edustructures.com/) to accept
either the "Edustructures Open Source License" or the General Public
License. The "Edustructures Public License" is the Jabber license with
our company's name and copyright information substituted. Since we have
made no changes to the licenses and both are already approved, we feel
that our products JaZ and J/SAL should be eligible for the OSI
certification mark.

The HTML file includes the formatting for the Jabber license from your
website, but the GPL version is the HTML from the Free Software
Foundation website. I hope this is not a problem.

The disjunctive license was suggested to me by Lawrence Rosen. For
contractual reasons we must offer this code under at least one
non-copyleft license, and we selected the Jabber license. However, we
also wanted the participation of developers partial to using GPL'd code,
and the FSF appears to believe that the Jabber license isn't fully
compatible with the GPL. Disjunctive licensing seemed to be the best way
out of the dilemma for us.

If we have introduced any errors into the licenses please let us know.

Thank you very much.

Steve Setzer <<ed_license3.html>>