open source licenses and algorithms

Michael Bauer bauer at michaelbauer.com
Mon Jan 21 16:03:06 UTC 2002

I don't think copyright protects an algorithm.  I think you'd need a
patent for that.  So, I don't think you can license an algorithm.  Of
course, IANAL (just anal).

On the other hand, I always thought forking code was a bad thing.  Unless
you wanted to develop a nice commercial alternative to open source.