Advertising Clauses in Licenses

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jan 21 15:48:01 UTC 2002

Quoting John Cowan (cowan at mercury.ccil.org):
> Lawrence E. Rosen scripsit:
>
>> As for the GPL, where does it say that you can't distribute source
>> via a website?  As I read it, you must merely distribute source code
>> "on a medium customarily used for software interchange."  I now get
>> almost all of my software, including proprietary programs, through
>> downloads.
>
> See
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DistributeWithSourceOnInternet
> et seq.

RMS has mentioned to me that he's considering changing section 3b to
(in some way) require source code availability on tangible physical media;
the current (v2) wording does _not_ so require.  The coders' intent
should logically be inferred from what that wording actually says, not
FSF's current exegesis.  (Whether a requirement for tangible media would
be good for various parties is a separate discussion, which I'm not
proposing.)

Separately and in addition to that:

The above FAQ claims physical media ("disk or tape") are necessary because
"not every user is on a network".  But isn't it equally true that not
every user can read any specific physical-media format you might
nominate as a universal distribution medium?  The laptop host I'm typing
this on has no floppy drive at the moment; I left it at home.  And half
the machines in my household are PowerMacs with no floppy or tape
drives.  For us residents -- as, I think, for many others -- ftp, http,
and cvs over rsh _are_ this decade's canonical "medium customarily used
for software interchange".

--
"Is it not the beauty of an asynchronous form of discussion that one can go and
make cups of tea, floss the cat, fluff the geraniums, open the kitchen window