NCSA Open Source License

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at greymalkin.yi.org
Sun Jan 20 20:17:19 UTC 2002

Hello,

As pt_PT translator and rpm packager of AbiWord, I have something to say
about this:

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 08:59:12PM +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Isn't this what AbiSource does. They have the following statement about
> their product:

<snip>
> For more information see
> <http://www.abisource.com/information/license/>.
</snip>

> Is that not acceptable to the Open Source community?
> Note that they write: "We are not evil. Our goal is very simple. We want
> to make sure our software stays Open Source, no matter what. That's why
> we chose the GPL. We also want everyone to know which products are ours.
> That's why we are so picky about our trademarks."

You can use the code like any other GNU GPL code. It's just the stuff like
certain expressions and certain artwork that can't be freely used (AFAIR).
I can be wrong and not in possession of full facts, but I think that's
just it.

Hugs, rms