paradox Open Source / Open Content

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Thu Jan 10 05:08:55 UTC 2002

Your question seems to raise several issues. As stated, however, I had
difficulty in determining whether your concern is really about software
or content (i.e. publications made available by software).

When you asked: "what if someone uses our software to restrict access to
publications by offering them on a pay-for-view basis?" it is unclear to
me whether your concern primarily is adding a technological  access
barrier to the source code (as is done with some e-books) or is directed
to the selling of publications? The former is a legitimate concern of
open source as it relates to software distribution, the latter is not.
Your question may involve multiple copyright holders. If you have a
proposed license, you might want to simply to post it to the list?

Rod

Rod Dixon
Visiting Assistant Professor of Law
Rutgers University Law School - Camden