Squeak License OSD-compliance

Matthew C. Weigel weigel at libcom.com
Wed Feb 27 01:06:59 UTC 2002

(My addressbook appears to be acting up, so I *think* this message
only went to license-discuss-subscribe... hopefully you haven't
seen this message yet)

Section 2: There is a thorny issue about fonts. While fonts are
clearly not part of the program if distributed separately, it is
difficult to say that they are not part of the program when they
are so distributed.  If they are part of the program, then this
section runs afoul (IMO) of #1, "shall not restrict any party from
selling . . . the software".  I think the fonts should be in a
separate package differently licensed, with all references to them
excised from this license.

Section 2: it is somewhat inaccurate to say that this license is an
X11/MIT flavored license when it requires that modifications to
existing methods or the VM be released under the license of Exhibit
A. It is also appears trivial to get around, by first sub-licensing
a modified version (say that *adds* a method) under a different
license, and then from there modify the existing methods and VM.
That is, unless that clause falls under being "no less protective
of Apple," which perhaps others can comment on (it doesn't seem to
be clause protecting Apple, so it doesn't seem like it should
necessarily be carried over).

Section 6: I'm pretty sure that's a no-no, at least under OSD#5.

weigel at libcom.com