Apache License Question

Forrest J. Cavalier III mibsoft at mibsoftware.com
Tue Feb 19 04:19:10 UTC 2002

>         The new program files that are added would only have the new
>         Apache
> license.
>         I have had the impression the new software "Yazd" would be
>         distributed
> under the new Apache license. Therefore, the new license would be
> the license of the software, and there is no need to mention the old
> one on the site.

You must comply with the old license if you are distributing anything
which is derived from that software.

I'd say at a minimum, the warranty disclaimer and copyrights of the old
software must be propagated to the new downloaders.  That is one
purpose of the Apache 1.1 clause #2:

  2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
     the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
     distribution.

(And clause #1 generally preserves the notice in source forms.)

>         The original software creators have complained that the license on the site
> should also have the old license too. I was wondering if this is true.

You must comply with the old license terms.  Depending on how you
are distributing and what your phrase "license on the site" means,
you could be OK or not.

But I would point out that I dislike license surprises when I
download.  I dislike reading a license before downloading, and then
finding a different license after downloading.