license name arrogance Re: Academic Free License

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Thu Aug 22 11:52:17 UTC 2002

Bjorn Reese scripsit:

> The only concern I have about the names is that Free and Open seems
> to be switched. The OSL is based on reciprocity, which is usually
> associated with Free Software, and the AFL is not, which is usually
> associated with Open Source (especially when seen in the light of
> RMS's rejection of Open Source.)

Software licensed under non-reciprocal licenses is still free software.
Software licensed under reciprocal licenses is still open-source software.
The number of licenses where FSF and OSI disagree is very small, and
the proportion of software covered by them is even smaller.

--
John Cowan   jcowan at reutershealth.com   http://www.reutershealth.com
    "Mr. Lane, if you ever wish anything that I can do all you will have