Legal soundness comes to open source distribution

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Wed Aug 14 16:38:17 UTC 2002

Lawrence E. Rosen scripsit:

> That's another reason why I don't like Rick Moen's suggestion
> that OSI merely apply the "rule of reason" to its license approval
> process.  I have informed the OSI board that, under trademark law, they
> cannot be arbitrary and capricious and still retain ownership of the
> certification mark.

Surely the whole point of a rule of reason is to have a middle ground
between "arbitrary and capricious" and mechanical jurisprudence?

John Cowan        http://www.ccil.org/~cowan          jcowan at reutershealth.com
Please leave your values        |       Check your assumptions.  In fact,
   at the front desk.           |          check your assumptions at the door.
     --sign in Paris hotel      |            --Miles Vorkosigan