Legal soundness comes to open source distribution

Rod Dixon rod at cyberspaces.org
Wed Aug 14 05:36:48 UTC 2002

I want to summarize what we have discussed on click-wrap because the issue
is significant from the standpoint of the legal standing of open source
licenses, and so I can include proposed responses in our research project on
the OSD.

It is my understanding that the issue initially involved the approval of a
license, not a change to the OSD. The discussion of click-wrap then
considered whether the fact that adding indicia of mutual assent to website
agreements like open source licenses (e.g., a mouse click from the user)
might have adverse implications for the position that open source licenses
are "non-contractual" licenses. There was also some discussion concerning
whether click-wrap conditions imposed on downstream or sub-licensees is
practical (it may be difficult to implement). Finally, some raised the
question whether the click-wrap condition is doomed to failure in cases
where distribution is packaged with multiple programs carrying distinct
licenses.

Is this a fair summary?

Rod