Legal soundness comes to open source distribution

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Wed Aug 14 05:18:24 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 13 August 2002 09:37 pm, Carol A. Kunze wrote:

> In any event, I am going to have to go back and reread the approved
> licenses to see which ones require entering into an agreement and the
> extent to which downsteam distributors are required to do the same.

Since distribution is an exclusive right of the author, it is perfectly
reasonable for a distributor to enter into an agreement before distributing
the software. It seems to be that clauses like "by distributing this software
you agree to..." are not a problem.

But the use of the software is not an exclusive right of the author. That's
why click-wrap is problematic.

--
David Johnson