Legal soundness comes to open source distribution

Rod Dixon rod at cyberspaces.org
Tue Aug 13 04:06:24 UTC 2002

I believe Daniel Bernstein is making a normative argument concerning the law
of copyright. I would not say that he is wrong, but, rather, that it is
doubtful that the law will advance in the manner he proposes.  Carol and
Russ have taken opposing positions on the same issue Bernstein discusses on
his website. At the heart of the matter, we are debating how best to
characterize the open source transaction. Ultimately, the warranty issue may
become less important (the UCC's warranty provisions will not govern the
transaction),  if the transaction is a copyright license rather than a
"sale" of open source software. As Larry and Carol have stated, open source
licenses run the gamut from "copyright license" to contract (even if we
assume that in the context of an open source licensing transaction, there is
a pertinent distinction to be made). Hence, the resolution of this issue
will only be partly useful.

I disagree with Bruce regarding Bernstein.  For some scholars and
commentators, one displeasing factor that open source shares with
proprietary software is the apparent reliance on contract law, which has the
tendency/potential to undermine the public policy matters thought resolved
by the Copyright Act. For example,  Microsoft has successfully argued in
court that a software license implicitly blocks the first sale doctrine from
attaching to the software transaction for the benefit of the
end-user/licensee. Carol makes the same point.  From what I can determine,
Bernstein believes this result to be a flawed application of the law. He may
be correct, and certainly the argument is not "wrong."  The argument sparks
a great deal of controversy, and courts have blessed both sides of the
argument(s). (See, e.g.,  Microsoft v. Harmony Computers).  To better
appreciate the nuances of the argument, compare how section 117 applies to
"owners" of copies of software with how section 109 applies to "owners" and
"possessors" of copies of software.

Last point: I do not think anyone made the argument that open source license
s that are contracts are not enforceable. Looking forward, the issue is what
needs to be done for those licenses set up as click-wraps. Click-wrap open
source licenses are viewed favorably by courts - - to the extent that they
are viewed favorable at all - - because the click-wrap along with other
factors demonstrate indicia of mutual assent; that is, that the software
license/contract was validly formed. This is a big hurdle, but valid
contract formation says nothing about the terms; whether the terms are
enforceable in the manner the drafter intended is a distinct question not
answered by the determination that the contract was validly formed. Nor is
there a compelling basis to believe denominating an open source software
license as a so-called copyright license means open source developers will
not confront contract formation issues in court.

Rod