Open Source Click-Wrap Notice

Bruce Dodson bruce_dodson at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 11 22:27:14 UTC 2002

Let me try to make it clear that I know the good samaritan laws don't apply
to software or any other non-emergency situation - only for emergencies,
where the time it takes to get a waiver signed could otherwise cost a life
(or a house). I am also quite aware that liability has nothing to do with
motivation - e.g. that if i give someone a lift downtown, and we get into a
car accident, and my passenger gets hurt, I can be sued even though I was
trying to be nice.

Nevertheless the good samaritan laws are for the common good, and so would
be a law that prevents someone from suing me for things I contribute to the
open source commons. That is the extent of my analogy. I am not drawing any
equivalence between the reasons why liability is inappropriate in these two
situations. I am also aware that wishing for a thing doesn't make it true. I
think we are on the same page.

As for bandages vs. underlying problems: In open source, the need to have
open source licenses seen as contracts, so that liability can be disclaimed,
is a bandage.  I'll take the bandage rather than expose myself to continued
risk, but I hope the underlying problem will not be forgotten.