click once, accept all licenses.

Carol A. Kunze ckunze at ix.netcom.com
Sun Aug 11 18:30:41 UTC 2002

I don't think this can work.   A third party - in this case the distributor
- cannot cause a contract to be entered into between two parties, one of
whom is not "present."

A developer can put a license in a program that will show up on the screen
and require clicking on "I agree" before installation.   The developer has
created the license, has developed and controlled the execution by the user,
and if the software is subsumed within a larger program as long the as
license still pops up when you start to install this module, I think a
contract can be created.

What is being suggested is that a distributor can come in and create the
execution mechanism (the umbrella contract), outside the control of the
developer.    This not only does not work, it would be very dangerous to
allow a third party distributor to be in charge of whether there is proper
agreement sufficient to disclaim the developer's warranty obligation.

In any event, this exercise is circular.  There is only contractual warranty
liability if there is a contract.   So this seems to be striving to create
the very contract that would give rise to the risk in the first place.
Mind, I don't know the law in India.

Carol