why does allowing click-through licenses "just feel wrong" to me?

Rod Dixon rod at cyberspaces.org
Thu Aug 8 11:43:16 UTC 2002

I think we agree generally, but I do not think the GNU GPL can be cabined
off from how we view other web site licenses because the facts do not seem
to favor that view.  First, we all know that in 1991, all "web-based"
licenses are similarly situated; no GUI point-and-click issues in 1991.   I
would add that although you *might* say the law was less clear in 1991 than
it is today (this is debatable since ProCD has not been followed by some
courts, is viewed as flawed by many, if not most, commentators, and is not
binding outside the 7th Circuit; moreover, UCITA has not had the clarifying
impact that some had hoped since states are not jumping on the UCITA
bandwagon), software and hardware makers used software licenses before 1991.
Stallman makes note of this fact in his book, and this common practice is
what is likely to have encouraged his own thinking about the use of
licenses. There is also caselaw that predates 1991 on software licensing.
Consequently, I think the argument that the GNU GPL is not contractual
because certain areas of the law was different or less clear in 1991 than
today is unconvincing on the facts. The argument you made seems to be based
on the non-negotiated status of the GNU GPL. If so, I want to be careful to
distinguish my point about consent. To prove consent, you need not show that
the license/contract was negotiated. Non-negotiated contracts do exist and
include many mass-market software licenses. If this is not your point, then
I am unclear what you mean when you say "permission notice;" you could mean
copyright license, but that would make your argument a bit circular.

I am not advocating that the GNU GPL be enforced as a contract, and I
certainly do not agree that the original drafter/licensor of the GNU GPL
ought to proclaim that the license is not a contract to avoid the issues we
are discussing. FSF could use its license(s) strategically, which may avoid
confronting these issues in court. Since the GNU GPL is copied by others as
if it were a form contract, the enforcement issues are more likely to
confront those who copy it and use it less strategically than FSF has done.
One could copy the GNU GPL, post it on their website, distribute free
software under the license and. under a pertinent case, attempt to enforce
one of its terms under a contract  theory. In that circumstance, a court
might have to address the contract formation issue;  I think the impact of a
decision upon the open source community is serious enough under some
potential circumstances that we should consider these issues with a great
deal of forethought.

Rod