Open Source Click-Wrap Notice

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Wed Aug 7 16:17:53 UTC 2002

John Cowan wrote:
> Why is Real so vague about which patent, if any, actually applies?

No patent holder is obliged to give you more information.  You will get
even less information than that from the W3C patent holders when the W3C
patent policy is finally approved.  The current policy draft provides
that you will be told only that a patent (or patent application) exists,
not which patent or which claim applies.

Now you've started me on another open source rant.  I've been trying to
get key open source players to wake up to the threat of patents and to
do analyses of open source software to see if any third party patented
technology is contained in it.  The "consensus" seems to be to wait
until the axe falls.  Well, folks, Lizzie Borden's on her way!  (With
apologies to Lizzie, who was acquitted.)

/Larry Rosen