Open Source Click-Wrap Notice

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Wed Aug 7 13:04:56 UTC 2002

> I wonder just how many Open Source programs actually require
> a patent license *from the author of the program* in order to
> be used. I suspect the number is Vanishingly small.

Just last week we all read the following in the RealNetworks proposed
open source license:

"Portions Copyright (c) 1995-2002 RealNetworks, Inc. All Rights
Reserved. This software incorporates the inventions claimed in one or
more of the following patents:  5,802,520; 5,917,835; 5,854,858;
5,917,954; 6,151,634; 6,314,466."

I don't think the patent issue is vanishing at all.

Keep wishing.

/Larry