Legal soundness comes to open source distribution

Rod Dixon rod at cyberspaces.org
Sat Aug 3 20:11:16 UTC 2002

I guess I am unsure of why there is such strong opposition to a clickwrap
licensing requirement. The Netscape-Smart-download case follows the
prevailing legal climate; namely, the licensor increases the risks of losing
a legal challenge to the license (either under the enforcement of a license
provision or the formation of the entire agreement) if the licensor does
not carefully ensure that proof of mutual assent can be shown. Regarding
Bruce's three questions: there are at least two federal laws that might be
relevant to this question: Magnusson-Moss and E-SIGN, and there are likely
to be nearly 50 state laws and 2 uniform codes relied upon by courts. In
other words, I do think the correct answer to the first question is going to
be yes. In response to question #1, I would ask another question: aside from
ease on the license drafter, why would you want to impose terms (a
disclaimer is still a license term, albiet a negation) under conditions that
make it unclear to both parties whether the terms have been agreed to? This
seems to run counter to the purpose of drafting terms.

Questions 2 and 3 appear to be answered, in part, by the
Netscape-Smart-Dowload opinion. I do not agree with all of the court's
points (footnote 10 seems particularly distressing), but I think the court
adopts the prevailing approach by characterizing the netscape license at
issue as browser-wrap lacking manifestations of mutual assent. One final
word of caution on this matter: once the OSI board resolves the approach to
take on clickwrap, whether a particular warranty disclaimer will be enforced
may depend upon a patchwork of state and federal consumer protection laws
for mass market, open source licenses, which is likely to mean that some
disclaimers may not be enforced even if they are enforceable.

Rod