OSL Version 1.0 dated 8/2/2002

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Aug 2 20:40:31 UTC 2002

Section 117 of the Copyright Act allows the copying of a computer
program "as an essential step in the utilization of the computer
program."  That doesn't mean that one cannot contract that right away.
I would not suggest that any open source license do so.  But an open
source license can -- unless I'm misreading the OSD -- provide that
anyone who makes such copies and distributes them provide access to the
source code.  And such a contract is NOT against the Copyright Act.

As I suggested earlier, I honestly don't much care whether someone makes
a copy of an open source program.  What many open source software owners
care about is when they create derivative works, use those derivative
works to make money by selling the *use* of the program (perhaps by
providing an Internet service), and then not return the source code so
that everyone else can benefit from those modifications.

Legally, I can prevent that result through contract, and section 117 of
the Copyright Act doesn't prevent me from doing so.

/Larry Rosen