Legal soundness comes to open source distribution

Lawrence E. Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Aug 2 17:31:36 UTC 2002

Concerning "use" licenses:

I understand your reluctance to use software that contains onerous use
restrictions.  If a license prohibits you from uttering the word
"pancreas," or any of the other silly restrictions noted in both Brian's
and Drew's emails below, then don't use the license or software it
licenses.

Simply because a license is open source doesn't mean that we like the
license terms or are willing to license it under those terms.  It seems
to me *unreasonable* to require, through some vague OSD provision that
some of you want, that all open source licenses be *reasonable*.  After
all, some major players even consider the GPL to be unreasonable.

/Larry