Discuss: Edustructures--one more try

Steve Setzer ssetzer at planetsoftware.com
Wed Apr 17 20:09:45 UTC 2002

[ Please discuss this latest revision.  -russ ]

To the license-discuss list:

Thank you for your patience, and thanks particularly to Forrest for many
useful comments.

I have decided to follow the Perl approach, of having a short notice and
then separate files for the Edustructures Open Source License (EOSL) and
the GPL. This is a bit different from my previous submission which
combined them all into one file.

Because my email system seems to mangle the files, I ask you to review
the following web links (all files are ASCII text this time for sure):

Edustructures Open Source License, v 1.1
http://www.opensif.org/download/eosl.txt

This is the actual license, the legally binding document, and really
it's all you need to review for approval up or down. I think it now is
OSD compliant; I hope some of my changes haven't made it more
unreadable. Since it started from the Jabber license,
doing a "diff" against that license might be useful.

GNU General Public License, v2
http://www.opensif.org/download/gpl.txt

Should "diff" cleanly against the canonical GPL at
http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl.txt

OpenSIF Copyright and Licensing Notice
http://www.opensif.org/download/opensif_notice.txt

This is what I propose to put in each source file for the product(s) to
be dual-licensed under the EOSL and GPL. Comments welcome :-)

Thank you all very much for your patience and consideration. Note that
at the same website older versions of these files are present in HTML or
PDF forms; we're trying to get those updated quickly but right now the
"txt' forms are the correct ones to look at.

Steve Setzer