Discuss: Request for OSI approval

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Apr 26 15:09:22 UTC 2002

Quoting Chris Knight (cknight at ghostwheel.com):

> Thank you.  This is a rational and understandable reason for posting a
> text-only version to the list.

Ah, so you appear to be joining the consensus about ASCII on the mailing
list.  Good.  As I was saying, it would be a good idea if this were
clarified on the submissions Web page, as the current wording seems to
mislead people into posting (here) HTML renditions of licences.

> It certainly makes more sense than "HTML belongs on the Web", which
> doesn't take into account that hypertext existed as a document format
> long before 'the web'.

This seems not only a non-sequitur, but also to contradict what you
wrote above (that text-only versions should be posted to the list).  But
that's OK.  The main point is covered earlier.

> I found the first reply to my OSI approval request to be insulting.

I found your reaction to be non-responsive, gratuitously and
irrelevantly personalising a suggestion I made to OSI's Web
maintainers.  The extent to which this wasted everyone's time can be
seen in the fact that you seem now to _agree_ with that suggestion.

--
Cheers,                                      "Reality is not optional."
Rick Moen                                             -- Thomas Sowell
rick at linuxmafia.com