click, click, boom

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Sep 26 07:19:15 UTC 2001

begin Greg London quotation:

> If someone puts out a bunch of source code under the MIT license, and
> the distro is OSI certifiable, there is nothing to prevent someone
> else from redistributing it in binary form only. Their only "penalty"
> is that they lose OSI certification.

_Licences_ are OSD-certified.  Software is open-source or not, in
accordance with its nature (including but not limited to licensing).
Beyond that, you're not telling us anything we don't already know.

> So, all I'm saying is that if someone looks at the OSD and likes it,
> they can't just go and pick any OSI approved license and have it give
> legal enforcability of all the OSD bullets.

Only _licences_ potentially have legal enforceability.  The OSD is just
a set of guidelines published by the OSI for licence certiification.

> If I pick the MIT license, then OSD #2 is not enforcable.

See above.  You are suffering category confusion.

> I don't care what the "spirit" of the OSD is.

Well, then, the situation is pleasingly symmetrical, since the rest of
us aren't likely to care about your views, either.

> But the OSD is not a license.

Nor does it purport to be.

> And it is the license that controls how a distribution may be
> re-distributed.

That is self-evident.

> Unless there is some other implication of enforcemnet to OSI
> certification that I am unaware of.

Do you have a point, or are you simply ruminating on the vagaries of
power and influence?

--
"Is it not the beauty of an asynchronous form of discussion that one can go and
make cups of tea, floss the cat, fluff the geraniums, open the kitchen window