YAPL is bad (was: Re: Backlog assistance?)

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 24 23:16:12 UTC 2001

on Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 05:08:47PM -0400, Matthew C. Weigel (weigel+ at pitt.edu) wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>
> > This leads to a GPL-related issue which is not clear to me: can
> > redistribution of GPL code be constrained by an employment agreement?
>
> Well, that brings up the question of whether sharing within a
> corporation qualfies as "distribution," a question which I can't
> recall being answered (although it could just be my memory failing).

Conventional wisdom says it isn't.  The FSF's guidelines, as I
understand, are that exchanges between individuals or units at a
company, for company business, does not constitute a distribution.
Allowing an engineer to take software home to work on it independently
does.  Exchange between separate legal units (e.g.:  corporations) does.

IANAL, TINLA.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org