copyright discussion

JEETUN6 at aol.com JEETUN6 at aol.com
Mon Sep 10 19:54:51 UTC 2001

I see that there has been some discussion and assertion about the powers
bestowed by copyright. The focus has been on what it apparently allows the
owner to prevent 'legitimate' users to do. I do not know which jurisdiction
allows the copyright holder to prevent the public reading of a book. If such
reading is a performance due to the artisitic input of the performer then the
performer needs the consent of the copyright holder. And rightly so since can
you imagine how much of an affront to your personhood would result if someone
destroyed the essence of the meaning of your work through an unauthorised
performance.

Don't look at copyright as a restrictive thing. Think of all the cultural
property that we enjoy by virtue of our IP laws. We experience the work of
others that we would not have were it not for the power of IP. Don't think of
IP as a noose around your neck but as a source of empowerment. And remember
that examples can be provided of outrageous uses of IP for frivilous
purposes, but that is not the fault of IP as such, but is the problem of the
use by others of the system.

I'd be interested to know what others make of this. Contrary to the norm, I
am an IP lawyer who actually appreciates IP.

Praveen Jeetun

Copyright law empowers an author to restrict others from copying the