RealNetworks' RTSP Proxy License

Chloe Hoffman chloehoffman at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 10 00:09:26 UTC 2001

This is not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is established.
etc etc.

>From: "SamBC" <sambc at nights.force9.co.uk>
>To: "Humphreys, Noel" <nhumphreys at AkinGump.com>,
>"License-Discuss at Opensource. Org" <license-discuss at opensource.org>
>Subject: RE: RealNetworks' RTSP Proxy License
>Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 14:00:50 +0100

U.S. and a number of other countries' copyright law indeed permits as an
exception the limited ability of making of a copy in the utilization of
program on a machine. See section 117 of the U.S. Copyright Act. Laws of
many other countries do not provide such an explicit exception. Moreover,
most countries in the world do not provide as wide a fair use privilege as
the U.S or recognize implied license (or if so, an express license likely
trumps).

><SNIP>
>
>Copyright law does state that the copyright holder does not perforce
>reserve
>the right to "use" the work, however that may apply to the work. They may
>not forbid people to read a book, but they may forbid them to read it in
>public. They may not forbid people to *privately* perform a play, or
>rehearse it, but they may forbid them from performing in public. Get the
>idea.

AFAIK in almost all countries making copies has no "public" limitation -
whether the copy is "private" or "public" is irrelevant.