newsforge story

sambc at nights.force9.co.uk sambc at nights.force9.co.uk
Thu Sep 6 15:14:07 UTC 2001

>http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:3733:200108:lmhpmlehbejjkloffohl
>http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:3735:200108:ajlgmjcdbmmllniijbba

I for one will have a look at them when I have
time (like when I'm not at work)

> > "Members briefly bandied about a suggestion to
> > form volunteer focus groups for each pending
> > license; but there was no official public
> > response from the OSI to the license-discuss
> > list, and it seemed that was what the list was
> > waiting for."
>
>I see no need for volunteer focus groups.  Comment on the licenses
>that have been sent to the list.  Use the mailing list for what it was
>created for.

I never said there was a need for it, merely that
it would be beneficial. I will support my view:

The license-discuss list can, and has in the past,
and will continue to, provide a decent critique
and commentary. Focus groups could fulfil a
different, but related, role.

A small group of people who make a commitment to
the job would, over a short period, focus upon one
license and provide a report summarising there
views and those expressed on license-discuss.
Would you, Russ, as one Board Member, be willing
to entertain the concept as a possibility. A pilot
scheme with some volunteers has already been
suggested, and I for one would like to go for it
in order to explore how useful it could be.

> > Now I am happy to do work implementing this and
> > working with it once it is implemented. Can we
> > have a reply from the board as to this
> > possibility?
>
>Sure:
>
>"So okay, my feeling is to write these folks off
>as whingers. My opinion is subject to change, but
>first I want to see some discussion about the
>submitted licenses." - Russ Nelson
>
>Since I wrote that, I've been seeing some commentary; in particular
>about the RTSP Proxy License.  Good job!

I'm glad that you are happier with our response. Vice-versa remains to be seen :o)

Sam Barnett-Cormack